The Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (‘LMA’) was introduced in order to safeguard consumer interest and rights. Effective from April 01, 2011, LMA establishes and enforces standards for packaged products. This law is applicable to all packaged products which are manufactured/imported and sold in ‘packed form’ in the Indian market.
Legal Metrology registration can be applied in two capacities:
Products which pertain to “weight & measurement” category like weighing machine, thermometer, fall under the category of weight & measurement which needs to take four different registrations from the department, i.e.
- Model Approval
- Packaged Commodity Registration
- Import License
- Dealership License
Products that are not falling under the category of the “Weight & Measurement” category need to take only ‘Packaged Commodity’ Registration from the department.
- Model Approval: It is applicable only on products falls underweight & measurement category. This registration shall be granted by the central Government. We need to submit the sample in the lab to test if it is according to Indian standards or not.
- Packaged Commodity Registration: This is applicable to all the packaged commodities, which are to be retailed to end consumers. Manufacturer/Importer need to provide relevant product information on packaged goods. This information needs to follow the guidelines defined in the rule. This Registration shall be granted by both state and central government.
- Import License: Once model approval is done we have to apply for Import License for that approved model from the Legal Metrology Department. This registration shall be granted by the state government where the goods will be imported.
- Dealership License:If the importer is importing a product and selling it with the same brand name then he must get the dealership license from the Legal Metrology Department. This registration shall be granted by the central/state government where the company is registered.
How ASC help?
- Assistance in obtaining Legal Metrology registration certificate in various capacities i.e. as an Importer / Manufacturer / Packer
- Advisory in preparation of application and arrangement of Model Approval (applicable for “Weights & Measurement” products)
- Arranging Issuance of Dealership License / Manufacturing license and assistance in the stamping of products
- Provide consultancy regarding Legal Metrology applicable laws and assistance in drafting MRP sticker
- Consultancy for Director’s Nomination and issuance of Nomination certificate as per Legal Metrology applicable rule.