Authorized Economic Operator (‘AEO’) Scheme
AEO Scheme is a program under the guidance of the World Customs Organization (WCO), SAFE Framework of Standards to secure and facilitate trade globally. An AEO is a business entity involved in the international movement of goods requiring compliance with provisions of the national Customs law and is approved by or on behalf of the national administration in compliance with World Customs Organization (WCO) or equivalent supply chain security standards. The security standards are detailed in the World Customs Organization Safe framework of standards [WCO SAFE FoS], which is the basis of the Indian AEO certification. There are 3 tiers of certification in the new AEO certification program. For business in importing & exporting there are three tiers providing varying levels of benefits:
- AEO T1 – It is verified based on document submission only
- AEO T2 – Along with T1 Compliance, document verification, onsite verification is also done
- AEO T3 – For AEO T2 owner who has enjoyed the position for 2 years only based on document verification & for AEO T2 holders who have not enjoyed the status or have introduced major business changes, the applicant is subjected to physical verification.
- AEO LO – There is document verification, onsite verification which is done considered for logistics providers, custodians or terminal operators, customs brokers, & warehouse operators there
The AEO Certification enables Customs administration to identify the safe and compliant business entity to provide them a higher degree of assured facilitation. This segmentation method enables Customs resources to focus on less or non-compliant or risky businesses for control. Thus, the AEO certification intends to secure the international supply chain by permitting recognition to trustworthy operators and encouraging best practices at all levels in the international supply chain. Through this program, the Customs shares its responsibility with the businesses, while at the same time rewarding them with numerous additional benefits listed below:
- Recognition worldwide as safe, secure, and compliant business partners in international trade and get trade facilitation by a foreign Customs administration with whom India enters into a Mutual Recognition Agreement/Arrangement.
- The Facility of Direct Port Delivery (DPD) of their import Containers and/ or Direct Port Entry (DPE) of their Export Containers.
- Remission of complete or partial of the Bank agreement requirements,
- Waiver of Merchant overtime fees.
- Deferred payment of duties.
- Waiver from transactional PCA.
- Faster disbursement of duty drawback amount through procedure eased out vide Circular 18/2017 Customs dated 29.05.2017
- Promoting timely refunds and settlements
- Self-certified copies of FTA / PTA origin related or any other certificates required for clearance would be acknowledged
- Recognition by Partner Government Agencies and other stakeholders as part of the AEO certification.
How ASC can help:
A Starting point for an AEO certification process is the document and standard operating procedures (SOP) for safety and security plans, and process map for movement of goods in international trade. ASC can help in documenting the process of international trade in the form of SOPs as the first step toward an organizational effort to formalize an AEO certification.
ASC follows end to end approach for obtaining AEO Status right from the planning and readiness assessment stage till getting the final approval of AEO status in the following ways:
- Analyzing the existing level of security standards and other required areas for gaining AEO status
- Assistance in preparations of SOPs and establishing the Standards required for AEO
- Assistance in organizing the information and documents for filing the AEO application
- Preparation, filing of the application, and providing support from time to time required by AEO Authorities
- Independent internal review to check the Security Standards and compliance level with other requirements for AEO and proposing improvement areas before physical verification by AEO Authorities
- Support during physical verification by AEO Authorities
- Following up with AEO Authorities till receiving the AEO Certificate
- Assistance in Compliance with AEO Status Requirements.