Equipment Type Approval (ETA) is required to promote the import of wireless devices in India, this approval shall be obtained by the WPC department. If a product isn’t certified by WPC and functions in the de-licensed frequency band then they must obtain an ETA certificate. The scope of Equipment Type Approval (ETA) from WPC covers mobile phones, RFID, Bluetooth devices, Wi-Fi technology, and others. Some frequency bands have been assigned a license-free status so one doesn’t need to have a license from WPC for products operating in those frequencies. Furthermore, to obtain an ETA, a detailed test report of the equipment obtained from a well-recognized laboratory has to be submitted to WPC for evaluation.
- Once an application is submitted at the WPC office, the documents are pre-scrutinized by the authority.
- Once WPC acknowledges the application it verifies the documents and raises any query if needed.
- Upon further rectification by the applicant, WPC undergoes a fair procedure and grants the Equipment Type Approval.
Essentials of Equipment Type Approval (ETA)
- Equipment Type Approval (ETA) is mandatory for all wireless equipment or devices which work under DE licensed bands.
- The license is controlled and monitored by the Wireless Planning & Coordination (WPC) department.
- It will be granted only to an Indian agency and not in the name of any foreign manufacturer.
- The application should be moved along with a complete copy of the Radio Test report (RF test report) carried out on the good, from an accredited test laboratory.
- Tests reports are required to indicate details such as resolution bandwidth, video bandwidth, Frequency span, sweep, etc.
How ASC Helps?
- Offering end-to-end services in regard to Consultancy regarding. ETA certificate
- Assistance in the issuance of an ETA certificate issued by the WPC department.
- Filing of application for obtaining equipment type approval shall be made to the Wireless Adviser to Govt. of India.
- Preparation and Submission of required documents along with a complete copy of the Radio Test report (RF test report) carried out on the product, from an accredited test laboratory.
- Resolving the queries raised by the department.
- Issuance of Final certificates.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the documents required for ETA approval?
Following are the documentation requirements for ETA approval:
- ID proof
- Address proof
- Proof of ownership of the business
- Technical guide of the product
- Radio Frequency (RF) test report
- Authority letter and ID proof for signing authority
- Any other document as may be required
ETA through self-declaration can be obtained for which products?
ETA through self-declaration can be obtained for products that satisfy the following conditions:
They are exempted from the import licensing requirement as per DGFT’s import policy and, They are working in de-licensed frequency bands as per the Gazetted notifications released by the Ministry of Communication
What is the validity of the ETA certificate?
The ETA certificate is valid till the product model is manufactured without any modification or alteration.
What is the requisite fees for ETA through self-declaration?
For products falling under the ETA through self-declaration, a fees of Rs. 10,000 shall be paid initially while applying. For all the subsequent imports of the same products or modules by the same applicant, the initial payment receipts or emails can be referred to.
How shall ETA be obtained for products that are not exempted by the import policy of DGFT?
For products that are not exempted by the import policy of DGFT, ETA through RLOs of the WPC wing shall continue to be applicable. The application can be made online to the concerned RLOs for obtaining ETA.
Whether each finished product manufactured in India require ETA if it contains the same RF module having ETA?
A product that is operating in the licensed exempt band should have the ETA. In cases where the RF modules are fitted without any modification or alteration in the finished products manufactured in India, then no separate ETA shall be required for such finished products. However, if these products are manufactured outside India, then ETA shall be required for such products before their imports.