In order to track the digital transaction and considering the use of technology in the growing economy of India, the income tax department has launched a new website for the electronic filing of returns. The launch of the new website is considered as the second generation of income tax e-filing and named as income tax e-filing portal - 2.0. The new website was launched on, June 7, 2021, with a host of new features for taxpayers. The new income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 can be accessed at http://www.incometax.gov.in.
The income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 has been launched with a set of new features. However, e-filing portal - 2.0 will eventually develop and provide all the key information (including the information available on old e-filing portal) relating to taxpayers on a real-time basis.
To enhance taxpayer experience, the new income tax e- filing portal - 2.0 has been built on four pillars namely;
- Convenience; and
The income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 has been developed as a mission mode project under the national e-governance plan. Let’s briefly understand what are these new features about? And how they will ease the process:-
- Mobile app (Android/iOS) - The department has also launched an e-filing mobile app. It is going to offer numerous benefits to the users. The app will enable the taxpayers to use all the functions to file income tax returns, make tax payments, submit response to the queries raised, and many more. This feature can benefit the users in many ways such as the income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 can be accessed anywhere, anytime and users can perform necessary activities all by themselves.
- Quick refunds - Due to the convenient use, easy processing of ITRs, and spectacular features of the income tax e-filing portal - 2.0, the department expects to pay the refund quickly than before.
- Enhanced help section with user manuals and videos - The income tax department will release the user manuals on how to operate and make the most of the new income tax e- filing portal - 2.0. The department will also provide video tutorials on how to use the services of the new portal effectively. It is a magnificent move by the department.
- Chatbot - With the new income tax e-filing portal - 2.0, the income tax department has brought out an all new call centre for taxpayers assistance and for prompt response to taxpayer queries.
- Multiple methods to pay taxes on the portal - The new income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 offers various methods to pay taxes online without having to visit the banks or ask your tax consultant to pay on your behalf. The existing portal allowed tax payment only through visiting a bank branch or net banking or debit cards of limited banks only. Now, the taxpayers are allowed to pay their taxes or any dues through UPIs, RTGS/NEFT and also through credit cards. It is indeed a splendid move.
- Role-based and user-friendly dashboard - The new income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 provides a more interactive dashboard to check all the necessary information on the single dashboard itself. Everything such as linking Aadhar number, verify pan, etc. available right on the home screen. One can easily update their profile.
- Secure and multiple options for Login - The income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 is not only convenient but also offer security such as enforcing strong password requirement, only granting the type of access that someone needs to accomplish a task. The users can also enjoy the benefit of multiple options for login into the new portal. There are two options to log in on the income tax e- filing portal - 2.0, either directly, or you can log on using your internet banking if your bank is authorized by the income tax department
- ITR preparation software - Income tax e-filing portal - 2.0 has a free ITR preparation software with interactive questions to help taxpayers file ITRs 1, 4 (online and offline) and ITR 2 (offline) to begin with. However, as said by the department, the facility for preparation of ITRs 3, 5, 6, and 7 would be available shortly.
- Wizard-based assistance in ITR selection and pre-filled ITRs: - Now the taxpayers will be able to forehandedly update their profile to provide certain details of their income, including salary, house property, and business/profession, which will be used in pre-filling their ITR in the income tax e-filing portal - 2.0.
The income tax e- filing portal - 2.0 changes indeed look impressive and a great move by the Income Tax Department for the ease of taxpayers. However, its efficiency and effectiveness can only be seen in due course of time.