G.S.R. 648(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) read with provisions (j) and (q) of sub-section (2) of section 52 of the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (1 of 2010 ), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules to amend of the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules of 2011, namely:
- These rules will also be called the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) (3rd Amendment) Rules, 2022.
- It will enter into effect from January 1, 2023.
In the Legal Metrology Packaged Commodities Rules 2011 in rule 26 after sentence (e) the following sentence is inserted, namely:
"(f) such goods as hosiery or clothing are sold in open or bulk during the sale in such a way that the consumer can check/view the product before purchasing.
Provided that, such product shall contain the following particulars, namely:
- the name and address of the manufacturer or trader or brand owner or importer with the country of origin or manufacture in the case of imported products;
- e-mail number and telephone number of consumer care;
- sizes with internationally recognized size indicators such as S, M, L, XL, XXL, and XXXL together with details in metric notation in cm or m, as the case may be;
- maximum retail price in the Indian currency of the package inclusive of all taxes.
Some other highlights of the recent amendment
- Provided further that the exemption under this Article applies only to the sale of finished products.
- Provided that the above information will be displayed on the e-commerce website if the product is sold through the E-commerce platform.
- It provided that any manufacturer or importer or packer may, regardless of the date at the beginning of this provision declare the above information with immediate effect.
In case of any queries please feel free to connect with our Legal Metrology Department at 9999043311.