The GST Council, in its 39th meeting held on 14th March 2020, had recommended to adopt and implement the incremental approach of linking the present system of filing of GSTR-3B and GSTR-1 and other significant changes like enhancements in GSTR-2A and its linking to GSTR-3B. One such enhancement that the Council recommended was the introduction of an auto-drafted input tax credit (ITC) statement which would aid in assisting/determining the input tax credit that is available for every taxpayer.
Form GSTR-2B is going to be such an auto-drafted ITC statement which will be generated for every registered person on the basis of the information furnished by his suppliers in their respective GSTR-1, 5 (non-resident taxable person) and 6 (input service distributor). It is a static statement and will be made available for each month, on the 12th day of the succeeding month. It is expected that GSTR-2B will help in reduction in time taken for preparing a return, minimizing errors, assist reconciliation & simplify compliance relating to filing of returns.
Key features in GSTR-2B which would assist taxpayers in return filing are as under:
- It contains information on the import of goods from the ICEGATE system including inward supplies of goods received from Special Economic Zones Units/Developers. This is not available with the release of GSTR-2B for the month of July and will be made available shortly.
- A summary statement that shows all the ITC available and non-available under each section. The advisory given against each section clarifies the action to be taken by the taxpayers in their respective section of GSTR-3B.
iii. Document-level details of all invoices, credit notes; debit notes etc. are also provided both for viewing and download.
Taxpayers can access their Form GSTR-2B through: Login to GST Portal > Returns Dashboard > Select Return period > GSTR-2B.
- GSTR-2B for the month of July 2020 has been made available on the common portal on a trial basis.
- Since this is the first time that the statement is being introduced, taxpayers are advised to refer to GSTR-2B for the month of July 2020 only for feedback purposes.
- All taxpayers are requested to go through their GSTR-2B for July 2020 and after comparing the same with the credit availed by them in July 2020, provide feedback (if any) on any aspect of GSTR-2B by raising a ticket on the self-service portal (https://selfservice.gstsystem.in/)
- All taxpayers are advised to view the detailed advisory relating to GSTR-2B on the common portal before using the statement.